Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Many Faces of Traveling

Destination 1: Galena, MD
Total Miles 1: 235 miles
Total Cost (running): $70 (?)
Destination 2: Rehobeth Beach Outlets
Total Miles 2: 144 miles (roundtrip)
Total Cost...don't ask.

Friday. March 15, 2013.

Today, sleeping in was overrated. A thing of the past. I slept a grand total of 6 1/2 hours Friday morning.

But no worries!

There were things to do. People to see. Places to go. And stories to blog.

After a lazy morning of blogging, I went out for lunch with my friend, Laurie, and her adorable baby boy, Nate (also known as: "Little Man" or "My Little Boyfriend").


We ate a fun place called Baker's Crust, where we not only filled up on yummy soup, sandwiches, and pizza, but also stuffed ourselves with dessert. As Laurie told the waitress, she is a cake connoisseur. Laurie tried a delicious new Banana Chocolate Chip Cake while I ventured to try the Diablo-something Crepe. Talk about chocolate heaven!!! Chocolate. Strawberries. Crepe. Can it get any better?

After lunch, we lounged about the house, wondering why we had eaten so much (and not regretting a calorie of it!). By three o'clockish, it was time to head north again. I said "goodbye" to Laurie, Matt, and Little Man, and headed off in search of adventure.


To get to Galena, I have two options. They are about the same distance, but one takes me up the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and the other takes me dangerously close to Washington DC. So the tunnel it was (which is really a serious of bridges and tunnels).

Supper consisted of a random hole-in-the-wall gas station/restaurant named Stuckey's. I give them credit for having some excellent fries and a pretty decent grilled ham and cheese sandwich. I also filled Mr. Darcy with gas, and I purchased a ESVA (Eastern Shore of Virginia) bumper sticker for our collection.



The trip would not have been complete with a run into Salisbury and a Starbucks stop with my cousin, Andrew. We spent some time catching up over specialty drinks, enjoying a random get-together before he headed back to work on a school project and I finished my journey.

The rest of the trip was uneventful (I may have missed my first exit at one point and gotten turned around due to a construction detour on 301...but it was more exciting...).

And it was the Ides of March. Something odd was bound to happen.

Saturday. March 16, 2013.

Today, sleep was NOT overrated. I slept an excess of 10 hours, thus making up for the lack of sleep the past week (I wish!).

The morning was once again spent in lounging around, talking with my aunt about what to do that day.

It was decided that the two of us would head across the border to Delaware and do some shopping at the outlets. Of note: Delaware is a tax-free state. This may or may not have played into my expenditures which have all been justified in the name of siblings. :)

Aunt Cindy drove her Mini, and we opted for a late lunch at one of my favorite eateries: Chipotle.

Once we had our fill of delicious food, we walked all over, shopping as we went. I was able to get some excellent deals and spent too much money on my siblings (which is an oxymoron...I am convinced that one can NOT spend too much on one's siblings. Period.).

After four hours of visiting various stores, we headed back to Maryland: the trunk a little fuller, the wallets a little lighter.

All in all, it's been a great trip so far! Looking forward to spending time with the church family up here tomorrow, and maybe taking an afternoon drive?!

No comments:

Post a Comment