Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dora the Explorer

Destination: Lancaster County
Total Miles: 140ish
Total Cost: $88


I have a new nickname.

When I was getting ready to leave this morning after a scrumptious omelet my aunt made for me, my uncle asked: "So where is Dora headed today?"

Now, I'm going to have change my ringtone on my phone to sing: "I'm the map; I'm the map; I'M THE MAP!" And I'll have to remind myself constantly when using my credit card: "Swiper, no swiping!" And, the best part, I'll make sure to sing at the top of my lungs every five minutes an update of where I'm going to make sure everyone knows: "WHERE ARE WE GOING?                   ...insert place... WHERE ARE WE GOING?"

Yup. That's me.

:)

So, where did I go today?!

Glad you asked! Today's meanderings included places from South Carolina, including Travelers Rest and White Horse. Sadly, though, I was the wrong state altogether.

Something I have wanted to attend (for maybe a year or two?) has been a play at Sight and Sound Theater in Lancaster                   County, Pennsylvania. This year's play is Noah.

This excursion required a trip to an area of the country I have never been: Lancaster County. You know...the Amish, the quilts, the horse-and-buggies?

It was a dreary and drizzly morning when I started my drive. And the farther north I went, the foggier it became until I reached what should have been rolling hills and could see maybe 10 feet in front of my car? It was so cold that snow still lay on the ground, and I turned on a Christmas playlist.

After stopping to purchase my somewhat-expensive-but-discounted ticket (the Box Office lady gave me a $10 discount for no reason! blessings) and a quick stop for gas (which I filled on my own, thank you very much, New Jersey), I headed in the general direction of Bird In Hand...the name of a city/twp (that's township for those of you who did not read to the bottom of yesterday's post!).

A friend had recommended checking out Plain & Fancy, a family-style all-you-can-eat restaurant. While there weren't enough people there at 11:30 to be seated next to people, I still enjoyed an excellent Amish meal...an excellently HUGE Amish meal that could have fed several people. (NO, no, I did not eat everything...I ate as much as I could, asked for a to-go box, and was told that it is a State Law that they can't give us leftovers in take-home boxes...which, I have been informed is a lie.)

Following the meal, I quickly headed to the 1:00 pm showing of Noah at the Sight and Sound.



The performance was amazing. I doubt I could adequately describe the experience. The acting was superb. The music well sung. The animals...the animals were phenomenal! I was moved to tears several times and reminded of the application to our lives. There was only one door to the ark...the ark of salvation from the flood waters...it was made available to any who would go...likewise, there is only one Door to Heaven: Jesus Christ Who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

I would highly recommend the play to anyone who can afford it...it is pricey, but well-worth the money spent. I would caution you though: (and maybe this is because I am too easily enwrapped into the stories and characters) when the floods come, all you can see is Noah's family and the animals, but you can hear the pleas of those outside the door. Friends who had rejected the truth. Scorners who had spurned Noah's message. Leaders who had turned the people away from Noah's gospel. Family members who were hesitant to believe. (further notes at the end of the blog...)

After the performance was over, I waited for the auditorium to clear a little before starting back to Mr. Darcy. A lady almost tripped over me while trying to take a picture of her family, so I volunteered to take one of the whole family. I was able to talk with them for a little bit...they're originally from Egypt, living in New Jersey and attend a church near Times Square. They offered to take me to supper, which I declined since I was expected back in Maryland for supper. But before we parted, the father (with his son acting as an interpreter) asked me if I knew the truth of the story of Noah...and the parallel between the one door to the ark of salvation and Christ, the Door to heaven. I was thrilled to tell him that I not only knew it but believed it with all my heart. And I asked if he knew it...he said yes. And before we got lost in the crowd, he smiled at me and said: "I'll see you in heaven someday!"

Amen.

The drive back was gorgeous! The sun was shining brighter than I've ever seen it shine. The clouds were perfect. The landscape was rolling and picture perfect.

Supper back in Maryland was delicious, and I was able to catch up with my cousin, Rachel, and her girls. Wish I could bring the LPs up here to hang out with them!


Well...that's all for now (except further thoughts on the play). Tomorrow, I think I shall head to Philadelphia!

:)

Noah Notes:
If the sounds of pleading don't affect you--the reality of what happened when God destroyed every thing on this earth except those who had chosen to go on the ark, perhaps you should closely examine your life...perhaps you are like me: you've heard the story of Noah so many times that you fail to think of it as a true story. And when the reality of the story hits you, I hope that you will keep in mind that there are two sides to the ark: one was safe, and one ended in death and destruction. Make sure of the side you are on!

One of Noah's sons was questioning why God had called their family to be different...when Noah over heard him, he replied with something that, for whatever reason, has been sticking with me ever since (which is odd because it was at the beginning of the play) Noah told his son that God had called them to be different because they were made different. (something to that effect...almost direct quote). Sometimes when I go through difficult times, I wonder the same thing: why is God calling me to be different and take the hard path...what an excellent reminder that He is calling me to be different because I am different. I am His child. I have a higher calling. By definition, that is different.

Sitting in the theater was like riding an airplane...I got to talk with the people around me. :) The lady on my left was turning 70 this week, and her daughter and granddaughter and great-granddaughter were taking her to the play. She told me she had me pegged as a teacher. (ummm...do I give off a teacherly-vibe?! must be my parents' influence...). The couple in front of me had been missionaries to Brazil for 35 years...the wife turned 80 yesterday. They had Brazilian lady with them who had been saved under their ministry. And, of course, there was the Egyptian family of four that offered to take me to supper. Such sweet folks! I hope if I am ever in NYC on Sunday that I will be able to attend their church and see them! If not, I know I WILL see them again someday in heaven!


No comments:

Post a Comment