Thursday, March 21, 2013

Friends, Family, and a Venus Fly Trap

Destination: Longwood Gardens, PA
Total Miles: 143
Total Cost: $50 (ish)

Having almost sufficiently satisfied my cravings to drive as much as possible, and having put an additional 1,000+ miles on Mr. Darcy in the past 7 days, I opted to meet up with some friends at Longwood Gardens for the day.

Remember that snow that was supposed to come?! It came. This morning.

To give you the abbreviated experience of what transpired this morning, I must start with my leaving my aunt and uncle's in Galena.

It was theoretically going to snow this morning. Imagine my Southern dismay when I arose early in the morning to see not even a drop of precipitation falling. No problem though, I'll fix myself a cup of Caramel Cappuccino and head to the Gardens for a rendezvous time of 10:00 am.

By the time I was leaving the subdivision, I started seeing little white specks falling softly to the earth. By the time I reached Middleton, the flecks had turned into flakes and were falling steadily. But by the time I had almost reached I-95, the flakes falling steadily had turned into gigantic puffs rapidly descending from the sky. The stoplight just before I pulled on to the interstate turned red, and just while I was sitting there the snow began to accumulate on my vehicle.

"Keep calm," I told myself, pulling on to I-95.

Then visibility dropped...I could barely see a quarter mile in front of the vehicle.

"AHHHHHH!!!!! I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN THE SNOW!!!!!!"
"Remain calm. No one knows that."
"WHAT WERE THOSE LESSONS DAD ALWAYS SAID TO REMEMBER IN WINTER WEATHER!?!?!?!?!?"
"1. Both hands on the steering wheel...check.
2. Stay calm...almost check.
3. Go slow...yeah right! Everyone is still flying past me! Crazy people...
4. Repeat step 2...fine. Check.
5. Let off the gas when going over bridges...WAIT! Was that a bridge? Oh snap...
6. Repeat step 2. Sigh.
7. Do NOT break if you slide. Turn your steering wheel...UMMM...which way am I supposed to turn? Towards where I slide? Away?
8. Just hope you don't slide."

By the time this exchange with myself was finished, it was my exit and just as suddenly as the heavy puffs had started, they stopped. Much to the relief of my blood pressure! :)

The Longwood Gardens are located in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania...also near Brandywine (which made me glance about for Hobbits).

The gardens were beautiful! I had a marvelous time catching up with my friends, Josh and Meredith, and enjoyed seeing their lovely children. Josh had been several times, and they had a membership that allowed me to go for free. With Josh acting as our tour guide, we journeyed through the conservatory and grounds.

Inside the conservatory were rooms full of plants from around the USA and the world...a bonsai exhibit, a rose room (LOVE!), the green wall, the Orchid Extravaganza, and other various rooms too lovely to describe.

All too soon, it was time for lunch. Applebee's provided a delicious lunch and a good time of fellowship...wish they lived closer so we could visit more often!

After we parted ways, I headed back to the gardens (I was branded with a stamp that gave me free passage back into the gardens). Roaming about the grounds, I found a huge meadow, the back of the DuPont house (which I then promptly toured), and many other wondrous places.

Because of the cold (it never got above 40F), I wandered in to the Cafe...and left empty-handed! They did not sell hot chocolate!

The Garden Shop was a fun way to end my visit. I curbed my desire to spend a bunch of money, and settled on a couple of gifts...including a Venus FlyTrap for the Little People! Hopefully, it will survive the ride home and live many days eating flies and such!

Still longing for a good warm drink, I looked up closest coffee shops. For some odd reason, the closest my app showed was a good 5 miles away...which was no problem, but odd considering I passed at least two other coffee shops and several Dunkin' Donuts. But I was determined to try the one that showed up on my app because everything happens for a reason.

I was the only customer at the Bishop's Coffee Co., and I ended up having a very random but pleasant chat with the guy making drinks. He was reading a book, and after sharing book recommendations, we discussed places to eat in Philadelphia, when to visit Washington D.C. (he says during the Cherry Blossom Festival is the best time), places I had visited this trip, his recommendation to visit Longwood during the Christmas Season, and the NCAA tournament. The mocha was excellent (just bordered on the edge of caffeine overload for my hypocaffeinated blood), and the chocolate cookie was good. I hung out there, enjoying my drink, and watching the St. Mary's vs. Memphis game (bit of a nail-biter at the end!).

After the game finished, I headed towards my other uncle and aunt's, Kevin and Kelley's, for supper. The ride back was splendorous, and I enjoyed reveling in God's creative design.

Supper and the Maryland vs. Denver game were on the menu, and I thoroughly enjoyed both. I love my family, even the extended ones I do not get to see as much as, and wish they all lived closer (though, it might be Rush family overload...they are all different, yet so much like my mom that it is easy to find the family resemblance!). Yet, I am so thankful for the time off I have and am able to spend with them.
Poppies...or Peonies...or Posies...

Dried Hydrangea 

The Meadow
Me and the Awesomely Cut Hedges

Flowers Waiting To Bloom
-Near the Meadow-
 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment