Monday, March 25, 2013

Jiggity Jog


March 22, 2013

Destination: Norfolk, VA
Total Miles: 225
Total Cost: $10 (this was only for lunch...I had filled up the day before)

Friday was just a traveling day...wait. I did NOT just say that.

Friday was more than "just a traveling day." Friday was a lovely day that included leaving my family in Maryland, visiting with a friend from nursing school for lunch, meeting up with my cousin Andrew and his girlfriend, driving across and thru' The Bridge-Tunnel again, going Mexican for supper with my friends, Laurie and Matt, and watching some March Madness while eating cake with Laurie and my Little Man, Nate (Matt went to the in-laws to watch more games).

I had a blast catching up with everyone. As always!

My friend from nursing school, Loren, works in Salisbury, MD. We enjoyed a lunch get-together at Panera Bread. I am so thankful for Facebook and the ability to keep up with friends from college and high school! Loren and I hadn't seen each other in person in over four years, and we had fun discussing current events in our lives and comparing jobs.

My cousin and his girlfriend joined us for lunch, and I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew's girlfriend, Stephanie. We all talked and discussed a variety of topics before it was time to hit the road again.

Heading south is usually not much of a problem. the Bay Bridge-Tunnel is, as always, huge. (secret: I have to work hard on not focusing on the fact that I am driving over and thru' a lot of water. I enjoy the drive, but I do not like all the water. But as it is necessary to cross the water to get to the Eastern Shore...)

Traffic coming off the bridge was not ideal. After turning around a few times because other drivers would not let me off my exit, I finally made it to Laurie and Matt's. Just in time for supper! We tossed around a few ideas and eventually settled on Mexican. My burrito was huge (which reminds me! I left my leftovers...again! Along with my sunglasses...) but delicious.

Being a self-proclaimed Cake Connoisseur, Laurie voted for Sassie's for dessert. We all got to-go cakes...including Nate. Mine was a chocolate with lemon mousse covered in a chocolate gold. Laurie got the Red Velvet...equally delicious options! We splurged on our cake while watching some college basketball. I love March Madness!


March 23, 2013

Destination: Travelers Rest
Total Miles: 448 miles
Total Cost: $30ish

Saturday's adventure continued the journey home...with one more major stop.


Breakfast with the Bates.

(That would have been the title if the post had been it's own day and not the last leg of the journey.)

Approximately 25 minutes from Matt, Laurie and Nate's domicile, my high school friend, Sarah,  resides in Chesapeake, VA. Sarah and I were debate partners in high school, winning some debates and having more fun than was probably allowed. After graduating, she headed to Florida to attend Clearwater while I stayed in Greenville to attend the nursing program at Bob Jones. Eventually, Sarah and her husband, Andrew, moved to the Virginia Beach area for additional school and ministry opportunities.

All that to say: Sarah and I haven't seen each other much since high school graduation.

Breakfast turned into an all-morning affair. :) Between getting caught up on each other's lives, spending time with her adorable baby, discussing our former classmates, and just talking, I did not head back out on the road until after one.

It was worth it.

Back on the road, it was time to head down my least favorite road-58. About the only thing of note that happened on this long and very boring road was being passed twice by a car that had a backseat full of kids that waved at me as they passed by. Something worth a smile.

After finally reaching I-85, the remainder of the drive was smooth and enjoyable, including the passing of cities of awesomeness: Charlotte, Greensboro, and Durham.



...



Being as that I am attempting to watch the Duke-Creighton game, I will finish here and post a final end-of-trip note that will include the running total miles (according to Mr. Darcy) and other notable moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment