Thursday, March 21, 2013

Happiness Is...


Destination: Philadelphia, PA
Total Miles: (driving) 145
Total Cost: $16



March 20, 2013

Tonight at my aunt and uncle's church we sang a song called "Happiness is the Lord." It's a great song and very happy...and applicable! The last verse of the song says:

Happiness is to be forgiven
Living a life that's worth the livin'
Taking a trip that leads to heaven
Happiness is the Lord

You know the saying: 'All roads lead home?' I think that someday we will find that all roads were leading us Home to heaven.

In the meantime, my paraphrase of this is that 'happiness is taking a trip.' ;)

Today's trip included several historic spots and a revisit to a city I needed to become better acquainted with after a few months sabbatical.

Remember that trip back in August? When the LPs didn't want to walk anywhere? Well, today I hit the streets of Philadelphia with a vengeance. I'm not sure (and neither do I want to know!) how many miles I walked today...I know of at least 3 (to and from lunch). Just know that there were a lot more.

Started out by parking in the underground visitor's parking garage. They offer a fair price, and I don't have to worry as much about my car getting sideswiped. Do not worry though! Mr. Darcy had an adventure at the end of the day and pictures to prove it!

I stopped in the Visitor's Center to get a free ticket into Independence Hall (they're always free...you just have to get a tour time).

Next, I stopped at the Liberty Bell. Lots of signs to read and clips to watch. I enjoyed finding out about the history of the most famous bell in the world. Seeing it...well, it was more fun when I had the LPs.

After meandering about for a while waiting for my tour time, I headed through security and on to the tour. First stop was a pre-tour view of original prints of the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the Constitution of the United States of America.

The tour part actually takes you inside the Hall where you can see several rooms, the most important, of course, being the Assembly Room where the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Ben. Rush
(Quick back story...one of my mom's relatives, Benjamin Rush, signed the Declaration...he was a famous doctor and activist during and after the war).

Not Benjamin Rush
The second floor contains some basic rooms with various items...including a huge original painting by Benjamin West. I was conversing with the tour's Park Ranger and asked about the painting and artist. He was surprised when I told him I was familiar with West's paintings. The university I graduated from undergrad, Bob Jones University, has a collection of West's works.

After the tour, I meandered about some more, stopping for hot chocolate at a shop nearby (Cosi? I think...the hot chocolate wasn't good enough to remember the name). Then I decided it was lunch time.

Lunch required a mile plus walk through the city...much of which reminded me of Boston. Lots of history smack in the middle of a bustling modern city. I opted to go to Geno's for lunch, having heard of their legendary Philly Cheesesteaks (in fact, I think they were the ones to create the first). The man was very polite when I told him it was my first time there...even gave me a free pen! My sandwich? Wiz widout. (Being interpreted: Cheese whiz and without onions.)

The rest of the afternoon was spent wandering about the city, stopping at museums, historic landmarks such as Penn's Landing and Christ's Church, and (of course) Starbucks.

I feel like there was more I did, but for now, I will leave you with pictures...tomorrow should be another fun day filled with adventures and visiting with friends!

So...almost forgot! Mr. Darcy's grand adventure today!!! While I was walking around, I came across the Second Bank of the United States building which has since been converted into a museum of paintings (and which I spent over an hour reading my way through...nerdy history side of me). Behind the building was a cobblestone street that was a dead end...clearly a street...clearly had no "No Parking" signs or "No Driving" signs...and the chain that blocked it from the main road was definitely laying off to one side. So...I said to myself, perhaps when I am done and leaving the city, I will drive around here and see if it is still open. And perhaps...if there is no traffic and crazy park rangers, I will park my car in front of the building and take some pictures.

And that is exactly what I did.


Love my classy car...



Independence Hall
Independence Hall
Lampost Moment in Washington Square

Statue of "The Signer"
Penn's Landing
Penn's Landing


At Penn's Landing
At Penn's Landing



At Penn's Landing 


In front of Ind. Hall


:)

First Amendment and Ind. Hall
Betsy Ross Upholstery Shop
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment