Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Meds and Inhalers, Sprains and No Brains

This about sums up my last 2 days.

Monday afternoon, camp was bombarded with 49 teenage boys...and not just any boys. Basketball players. (aka "ballers")

Registration was a little touch and go. My job (as the first table they visited) was to make sure that every kid had a medical waiver form signed by a parent/guardian, filled out the medication form, and turned in their meds to me. Easy enough?

Right.

For starters, the medical waiver forms were not printed. So, we had to figure out who had one, who didn't, and get the basics filled out and signed by a guardian.

Then there were the medication forms. Hence, the title. My constant refrain: ''Any meds and inhalers?" If yes, they had to fill out the form and hand over all their meds (which I get to dole out throughout the day). If no, then they could finish registering at the next table.

So far, my nursing duties have consisted of taking care of a sprained ankle (for which I have been hailed a miracle worker), a jammed finger, babysitting a Junior Higher who broke his wrist the week before coming to camp, a bloody nose (during the service, not from playing), and prescribing sleep for a jet-lagged kid who only slept 2 hours last night.

I know, you're thinking: "Wait. Aren't you a Neonatal nurse?" And the answer is, yes. I am. And I following these four steps: (not in any particular order)
1. Ice it.
2. Elevate it.
3. Wrap it.
4. Medicate it.

I have taken to employing my time in the gym (which is any time there are guys in the gym playing) with reading. Namely, this is to avoid watching these kids running into bleachers and falling repeatedly. They will give themselves concussions. And it does nothing to my blood pressure to watch them and wonder if the next one will be some awful injury.

Bless them. These kids are dedicated to playing ball...though, I'm certain some of them either have no brains or don't care about them enough to stop running into bleachers.

The services have been phenomenal! Pastor Mike and his evangelist friends, LJ and Mike Fisher, have been challenging the guys in every aspect of their lives. From learning how we as sinful humans are separated from God eternally by an insurmountable wall (metaphor: the Berlin Wall), and that Jesus Christ is THE only Way to the Father, to knowing how they can have assurance that they are truly children of God, to learning that what we put in us (music, movies, language, etc) is what will come out eventually. It's not even half way through the week, and the Lord is doing a mighty work here!

A small highlight for me and Kristen (the other girl, aka secretary/pianist/teacher) was Monday morning. We had to make a McDonalds run...and happened to be talking about it when we were at the Welcome Center picking up supplies. One of the men in the office volunteered his car for us to take. It was sweet, and I enjoyed every minute of driving (even if I couldn't put the top down).

Well, lots more to say, and more to come later, so keep an eye for updates! I will share in the next post about one of the most...unique? things that has ever happened to me while singing a special during the morning service.

Til then, night ;)

2 comments:

  1. Loving reading this :). Amazing, I think you are rocking it :). Nate and I will keep following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha this made me laugh!! =] It is so awesome what God is doing at camp this week! And i know exactly what you mean when you say some of them either dont have brains or dont care about themselves lol And yeppers them are ballerz!(dont ya love how you pick up the National Hoops phrases so easily?! ;p

    ReplyDelete