Saturday, May 12, 2012

Saturday, Saturday, Saturday

This week has felt like several Saturdays strung together. It started with Sunday. I slept all day in preparation for work...then I was placed on paid call (aka: I am off but may be called in to work at any point throughout the night). So, I was able to go to the evening service at church. And afterwards, I took mom out to Chipotle (my new addiction) for supper. Not my normal Sunday!

Then I slept all day Monday and worked Monday night. Ditto for Tuesday. But as Tuesday was my last night to work for the week (and I tend to work several Saturdays without working Sundays), all Tuesday night felt like Saturday night. Until I went to Starbucks the next morning. The line was so long, it could have been a Friday morning! Which it wasn't.

Wednesday, I only slept 3 hours before getting up to get my hair trimmed (3'' off...qualifies as a trim for my locks). Then...well...I really couldn't tell you what I did the rest of Wednesday. I was really tired. I know I went to the service that night because I have notes on the sermon, but as for what I did between my hair appointment and church...I am not to be held accountable for anything that happened.

So Wednesday was an odd day, and while I was getting my hair done, my brain decided that it was Saturday. Which it wasn't.

Then Thursday...

I am NOT a morning person. And about the only thing that will get me out of bed before 7 am (okay...THE only thing that compels me to arise before that ungodly hour) is the starting of an adventure.

Orientation for grad school officially qualifies as "starting an adventure." Therefore, I was out of bed by 6:30am. I had to be at University Center no later than 8:30 am...which included driving through Rush Hour traffic near Cherrydale and figuring out exactly which classroom I was supposed to be in by 0830.

I have a suspicion that this particular "adventure" is going to be a bit bumpy. There were 22 people in the class, including various specialties of a Master of Science in Nursing. Everyone (and I am not using hyperbole) else has adult experience. But (after a few internal moments of panic), I am reassured that I am exactly where God wants me and am excited about how He is going to prove Himself during grad school!

After four hours of being bombarded with information, I spent the rest of the day with friends. Relaxing. Unwinding. And again, feeling as though it was another Saturday. Which it wasn't.

Friday morning, I was drafted to help dad with the lawn business at a subdivision that I have helped with for 11 years. He gave me the opportunity to mow with his new Walker mower...which I did with relish! We knocked out all 14 yards in less than 2 hours.

For lunch, my friend, Alana, took me to Hendersonville, NC. We ate lunch at an adorable cafe/tea room called "A Day in the Country." After eating and talking for awhile, we shopped around the store, laughing our way through the random signs and other odds-and-ends that were for sale. After making our purchases, we headed home...with a stop at Bloomfield's Dish Barn. They had numerous types of china, glassware, and cooking items, in addition to a large selection of Christmas ornaments and more odds-and-ends.

It was a productively fun Friday. Which again, felt like a Saturday. Which it wasn't.


Today. Today has not only felt like the Saturday it is, but it is more like several Saturdays rolled into one! For starters, it was the NICU/PICU reunion. I was helping with registration which meant not only making sure everyone was registered but also given name tags, tie-dye t-shirts, a bag of goodies (including a stuffed animal and water bottle), and a raffle ticket. To add to the fun, just as parents and kids were starting to roll in, Regional One (the hospital's helicopter) landed next to my table so the kids could get pictures. After picking up everything, we were able to get everyone registered and into the reunion. I think it was a hit. :)

The reunion was scheduled from 10-12, but I had to leave early to make it to the Mother's day luncheon at church. What a blessing to hear from a missionary to Mongolia (who is a potter) about the importance the clay has in the potter's hands and the relationship we have as clay in our Master's hands.

After the luncheon, I scooted over to a birthday celebration and wrapped up the afternoon playing Uno and Matching games with my friends' kids. It felt like Saturday. Which, finally, it was.

Keep a lookout for my next road trip...I leave Monday for a couple days in Tennessee at Grandma (and Pap's) house :)

1 comment: