Thursday, January 26, 2012

Over the river...

Destination: Grandma's House (Powell, TN)
Total miles: 330
Cost: priceless

One of my favorite places to go when I have time off of work is my Grandma Rush's house.

Living < 3 hours from Grandma definitely has it's perks! The drive up I-40, between Asheville and Knoxville, is beautiful no matter what time of year you take it.

I could elaborate on the awesomeness of visiting my grandparents, the enjoyable restaurants that Grandma and I check out around Powell, the uplifting services I get to attend at their church, but while those are all great things about visiting them, I would have to be truthful and say that probably my favorite part of any trip to Grandma's is talking with them and listening to them.

For instance, I have found out that my Pap (as we call my mom's dad...dad's dad is Grandpa) used to work at a steel mill...some night shift, some days, in various jobs around it...and his stories are always worth the listening to!

Every morning, my grandparents eat breakfast, take their pills, and pray for their family. While I'm not much of an early riser, on those rare occasions where I wake up early, I love sitting in bed and hearing them pray in the kitchen for each of their kids, grandkids, great-grands, brothers and sisters, and church family.

I'll elaborate someday on the road trips, the drive, the fact that I can take my Mr. Darcy-fill up as I'm leaving Travelers Rest and not have to fill up again until I get back (10 gallon tank, 35+ mpg, 330 miles roundtrip, do the math)...but for now, I will leave you with this:

Family is one of the most precious treasures mankind has...and my grandparents (on both sides) are among the most rare and beautiful jewels anyone could ask for :)

1 comment:

  1. so thankful that you get to spend time alone with them...they are pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete