Monday, February 6, 2012

The Road Goes Ever Ever On...

With the impending departure of 2 of my younger siblings (Will and Christy), who are heading out with the traveling teams-National Hoops and National Goals-this week and next, I reflect on the words of a poem found towards the end of an excellent book...which I confess to having only recently read. Granted, I have read The Lord of the Rings more times than I can remember, but for some reason, I had never been able to make it through The Hobbit until recently. And when I finally did finish reading it, I could not help but wonder why I had never read it entirely before this time! But such is life, and I now have another favorite to add to my library.

So this one is dedicated to Will, who is leaving today (2/6/12)...may your journey be one of adventure and growth!

The Road goes ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.

The Road goes ever ever on,
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wondering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began,
Now far ahead the road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

The first 2 verses are made up by Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit, at the end of his journeys over the Misty Mountains. The 3rd verse was one I was familiar with, having been stated by both Bilbo and his nephew, Frodo, in The Fellowship of the Ring.  How often in life do our paths seem to stretch out before us, never ending. As you are "pursuing it with eager feet" remember to always seek the Lord's guidance...Proverbs 3:6 "In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Psalm 119:105 "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Proverbs 4:26 "Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established." Psalm 23:3 "He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake."

No comments:

Post a Comment