Thursday, February 16, 2012

Check, Check

Destination: Buy Buy Baby, Columbia, SC
Total Miles: 208
Cost: $25

For those of you who don't know, I am a Certified Car Seat Technician. Basically, I took a class a year ago that allows me to inspect car seats (which, in my line of work, is not an uncommon need). Every now and again, places will advertise for anyone who wants to come have a free car seat inspection done to show up at certain times...and while I haven't done one in a while, when I got an email saying there was one in Columbia, SC and figured I would actually be off work, I grabbed the chance to take Mr. Darcy out for a stroll.

I left Greenville around 7:40am (which, if you know me at all, you know that is very early for me to be up on my day off), and I made it to the inspection site by 9:30am. It's not a bad drive, there and back again...unless, like Saturday morning, it's windy. Driving on 26 when the wind is blowing poor Mr. Darcy around, is not nearly as glamourous as all that. And it kills my gas mileage! I got a pitiful total of 31.9mpg roundtrip (when my normal on the highway is above 38mpg).

It was very interesting, and I learned a couple things that morning. I didn't know anyone there, but enjoyed making new friends. I also enjoyed meeting parents, children, and expecting parents who came for inspections. I really don't know exactly how many I performed, but I did tons of teaching. (you would be surprised at how many people have no clue how to properly install a car seat...let alone know some basic safety measures they can take to insure that their child is not harmed in a MVA-motor vehicle accident).

I also learned (for those of you with kids or for future reference) that recently some car seat companies have crash tested car seats that are secured with BOTH the latch system and a seatbelt. We've learned not to use both, and we now finally have data to back up what we teach...they almost negate each other as far as effectiveness goes! So, for those of you who use car seats for your kids, make sure that you use whatever method is the best for you...and always make sure the seat doesn't wiggle more than 1-2 inches from side to side where the belt path is located. :)

Horatio in his solar blanket
on the ride home
All that to say, because I had to get up so early, I found the drive back to be a little challenging. Thankfully, I have multiple family members whom I can call to keep my mind active.


But it was a fun AND productive little trip. Mr. Darcy and Horatio (who has been rediscovered) kept me company (and also got me some pretty awesome Valentine's Day gifts today).

Having the next few days off, I will be planning my next big trip which will encompass a stop in Virginia, Maryland, and maybe DC!

No comments:

Post a Comment