Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Where Does Morning Lie?

Over 34 miles...one way...should qualify for a road trip in my opinion. Multiple times a week, I make the 45-60+ minute (one way) drive to and from work. And (in cases like this weekend) when I am working a bunch of nights in a row, I often find myself earnestly longing after the morning of the last night. A morning which often takes quite a while in coming!

This stretch is a 5-in-a-row (five nights of 12ish hours each) with a paid-call night tacked on the front. It was originally a 6-in-a-row, but I was placed on paid-call the first night, which means I have to stay up and keep the phone close (though, the benefits of placing someone on call who lives so far away have yet to be determined). It's not a bother...other than the fact that I have now been on a night-rotation for going on 7 nights.  And that makes for some fun driving home attempts-to-keep-myself-awake!


Occasionally, I lose track of how many nights I've been working in a row...my remedy? I stop at Starbucks every morning after I get off work (except Fridays...long story) and get my tall hot chocolate with extra whip. Since I don't clean out my car until a day off, I can count the number of Starbucks cups and know how many nights I've worked. I know. Brilliant. Good thing Mr. Darcy has 10 cup holders!!

My favorite part of my long drive is the views...living in the Foothills has its benefits! Any time of year is a good time...seeing the mountains in the distance causes much reflection on the many Psalms which reference mountains.

My least favorite part of the drive is the horrible drivers...biggest pet peeve: if you want to drive slow, by all means, drive slow. But drive in the right hand lane! I am still working on perfecting my relaxation techniques in an effort to prevent an early stroke or other horrible blood pressure issues. :)

The title today is derived from the refrain of a song (which, coincidentally, is something that keeps me calm while driving). Check it out here. The last verse is particularly applicable as the singer questions those listening to "tell a little pilgrim where the place called 'morning' lies."

This tired night-shifter is ready to shift back to a normal person for a few days...but, can you tell me where morning lies? Could I see it from the mountains, or is it brought from famous countries of which I have never heard? If so, I will take my days off and go in search of the elusive morning...

3 comments:

  1. I'm massively impressed by Mr. Darcy's 10-cup-holder capacity. I don't even think my SUV has that lol.

    I've found a lot of good things come out of long drives... I used to get some voice practice out of the way, sometimes the boys and I would help each other study for tests on the 45 minute drive to school etc. Lots of good memories in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate and I want to know why not Friday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...Dear Laurie and Nate...I do not go to the Starbucks by the hospital on Friday mornings because everyone and their brother goes there Friday mornings...it seems this is the only Starbucks in Spartanburg (not in Barnes and Noble), and after 2 years of studying the patterns of Starbucks' traffic, I have made the discovery that the line at Starbucks is longer on Fridays (no matter what time you come between 0710 and 0800) and not even a hot chocolate is worth waiting in line for 20 minutes. :) Every so often, I go on a Friday morning after work (either out of habit or forgetting the day) and it's as bad or worse as when I started going there 2+ years ago.
      love, Charise

      Delete