Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Six of One, Half-a-Dozen of the Other

For sure, I've heard this phrase before, but it seemed to be the phrase for the weekend. This was mostly used in reference to the location of my aunt and uncle's house...both Baltimore and DC were around an hour and a half from their place...and apparently, so are many other places (for which future road trips will be required: Lancaster, Philly, Ocean City, etc). But there were other instances in which this was used, and it was enough times that I deemed it a worthy title.

Just to give a quick rundown on Saturday, Sunday and Monday (hopefully-as I have to be up all tomorrow night-I will give some more details regarding my trip tomorrow):

Saturday, I was able to help out with the Men's Prayer Breakfast at Cindy and Steve's church in Galena. After which, I was able to meet up with my uncle and aunt, Kevin and Kelly, for lunch...which turned into a shopping trip to Delaware (tax-free) and supper at their house while watching the Duke-UNC game (which will NOT be talked about!).

Sunday, in between morning and evening church services, I was able to do some driving about...and ran across a beautiful park-complete with lighthouse! I also ended up in Delaware and made a random stop at Home Depot.

Monday...I'm still not quite sure how I fit everything into that day...after a stop at my cousin Rachel's, I drove to Washington DC, checked out the Mall (where I nearly froze, and spotted some snowflakes!) and some monuments...and Starbucks, then I drove down to Mount Vernon (George Washington's home) where I couldn't find the front of the house and ended up taking a pic of the back, from there I skipped on up to Baltimore and met up with Meredith and Josh (and baby Joshua) for supper at the Cheesecake Factory in the Inner Harbor, and lastly I drove back and got in to Galena around 11...something. :)

What I learned from Monday:
1. There is free parking to be found if one is willing to drive around in circles in DC.
2. Half of everything up here is closed because it's the 'off-season.'
3. When the forecast says 40 F, it really means 30F...when it says 30% rain, it means 100% snow flurries.
4. While it may be equi-distant from Baltimore to Galena if you go north or south, it is cheaper to go the northern route ($3 v. $12).
5. Yes. Your fingers can be so cold that your touchscreen phone doesn't pick them up.

That's a quick overview of my travelings...stay tuned for the complete and unabridged version (jk...it will probably the revised and abridged version).

No comments:

Post a Comment