Friday, March 2, 2012

"It's a Dangerous Business"

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins, LOTR

In The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien introduces his readers to the delightful folk known as hobbits. They do not like adventures, are quiet people who love a spot of good tilled earth, and yet, when they are called upon, are found to be made of remarkable stock. While I would like to compare myself to these charming people (and my siblings would like to compare me to them, as I am turning out to be the shortest Guidinger kid), I will freely admit to dabbling in this "dangerous business." Willingly allowing myself to be swept off to wherever the next adventure leads. 

Just wanted to quickly update everyone on my current road trip...which is a true road trip this time. A month or so ago, I started getting that infectious bug, a little itch that causes me to wonder what new place I can visit next. And upon reviewing places I would like to visit, I settled on visiting with some relatives. My mom's second oldest sister (Aunt Cindy) and mom's brother (Uncle Kevin) both live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Which, is conveniently located near Delaware (tax-free shopping, anyone?) and the thriving metropolis of Baltimore...and only 4 hours from the country's capital. And (perhaps even more conveniently) only a few hours north of Laurie, Matt, and my Little Man-Nate (aka my mini-boyfriend...one of my A+ NICU graduates).

So, after working Tuesday and Wednesday night, I caught about 30 of my 40 winks on Thursday morning. I had happened to text my friend Jenn to see if she needed anything from her sister (who lives near Laurie) and found out that Jenn was actually contemplating a visit. So, after getting my oil changed, picking up some delicious Stax's Omega cake for Laurie and Matt, filling up on gas, and purchasing some items for my aunt, I loaded up my stuff (which reminds me...I need to write some travel tips on packing as quickly and efficiently as possible) and picked up Jenn and baby Taylor. 

The drive to VA took about an hour longer than planned because of traffic (Jenn called it "rumble-strip counting traffic"), and at one point, I was thoroughly convinced that we were having a post-apocalyptic moment (we were the only northbound vehicle, southbound traffic was backed up for miles, and bright construction lights plus an overactive imagination added up to the crazy hyperbole ). But we made it safely, and after dropping Jenn and Taylor off, I drove 20 minutes away and got in to Laurie and Matt's before 3 am. 

Today's adventures included going with Laurie and Nate to Gymboree music class (and meeting some adorable babies!), having lunch at No Frill Grill, and driving for 5 hours. But the drive was interesting! Mr. Darcy carried me safely across a huge Bay Bridge...where I bought him a new bumper sticker...and through some very long underwater tunnels, and on some long roads...all in the rain! Loved the coastal views! 

So here's to whatever adventures are waiting to sweep me off tomorrow, Sunday and Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment