Thursday, March 15, 2012

Past Two Cornfields (Part 2)

STOP!

Before proceeding any further, please make sure you've read Part 1 or there may be corny things that don't make sense. :) (Sorry...pun not originally intended but left in after editing for entertainment's sake.)

Ok...now that we have that order of business sorted out, here is the rest of my tale. Be warned that pen and ink cannot alone describe the weather those bitterly, blustery cold days which I will now recapitulate for you.

I'm really not quite sure what time I got up Monday morning, but suffice it to say it was early for me (maybe around 7:30 or 8?). On my way down to my destination, I stopped over at my cousin Rachel's to drop off a crib that had been in my vehicle for weeks. We talked and caught up, then I headed off...sometime between 9:30 and 10, maybe?

Of course to get off the Eastern Shore, I had to drive across yet another bridge...this one sans tunnels. It was a somewhat overcast day. The temperature when I had left Galena was around 28F. And of course, I had not brought proper ''winter'' clothes. I typed "Lincoln Memorial" into my GPS, which brought up some random place in the midwest. So, I added "Washington, DC" to the "Lincoln Memorial" which resulted in the correct   place. Because I was in no hurry, had no immediate plans (aka: was not meeting anyone until 5pm), and didn't particularly care where I ended up, I was able to enjoy driving around, and around, and around, and once more around trying to find free available parking. After passing the Washington Monument from 3 of the 4 sides, I found a nice parallel parking area with the perfect space left for a vehicle of Mr. Darcy's size complete with views of the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, and Jefferson Memorial.

At one point, I thought I was seeing specks, so I shook my head (precipitating in my earbuds falling out...NOTE: when I travel by myself and tour various things, I play through bunches of music. Loud enough I can hear it, low enough I can hear what everyone else is saying. Monday's playlist consisted of soundtracks* from Gettysburg, The Patriot, Little Women, and some random songs such as Summon the Heros, Theme from Saving Private Ryan, and Sweet Liberty from Jane Eyre Broadway.)...the specks kept coming and going, and I decided I was definitely seeing things.

The Lincoln Memorial was grandiose, just as I remembered it. I had a Mr. Smith Goes to Washington moment (one of my favorite actors...Jimmy Stewart. Classic, classic movie that if you haven't seen you MUST watch before traveling to DC). Of course, being the good daughter I am, I called my dad to share the moment. After reading through the Gettysburg Address and the inaugural speech etched in the stone inside the monument (yes, a Southern girl like me can appreciate one of the greatest presidents, even if he was a catalyst for the War of Northern Aggression), I opted to skip the National Park Service guide and walk around in the general direction of the Capitol Building.


I would highly recommend the walk to anyone appropriately dressed for the weather. Great walk, but I was so cold wearing only a pair of jeans, 2 thin long-sleeved shirts, equally thin fleece vest, rain coat, and green-happy-shoe-moccasins (I hate socks...and hated that I wasn't wearing any that day), that my brisk pace prohibited me from truly enjoying the grandeur. On the way to the Capitol, you will pass Lincoln's Reflecting Pool...which of course was under construction; the majestically solemn WWII Memorial; the magnificent obelisk Washington Monument...which has been closed since the earthquake; the Mall...large area of land, not to be confused with a real mall; and multiple Smithsonians.

About 3/4s of the way to the Capitol, I decided the random specks were annoying, and began to search for a place to consume items which would aid in ceasing the apparently rapid dropping of my blood sugar.

At this point, I made a phenomenal discovery! My hands were so cold that my iPhone touchscreen was unable to respond to my touch! AHHH! insert quiet moment of solitary panic in which my mind envisioned me wandering around DC for hours unable to find sustenance...

The sensible side of me won out, and I sat down in front of the Reflecting Pool in front of the Capitol Building (I was so cold that I barely noticed the chill of the pavement) and stuck my hands between my knees. They warmed up, the sun came out, and after taking a couple pictures, I located a place to eat. Best panini I've had in a long time. And kind of fun to eat in a back-alley-obviously-political-gathering-spot with people in suits. I then located the first Starbucks I could find and purchased my classic hot chocolate and a Washington DC mug.

On the walk back, I walked into a couple Smithsonians...and after passing security clearance, checked out the gift stores then headed out. Must go back and visit more someday!

After passing the Lincoln Memorial again, the sky clouded up...and the specks started again. For sure, it was snowing! Or at least flurrying. Which is still just as cool. People probably thought I was crazy taking a picture of my coat, but I caught a snowflake and it had to be recorded as proof I wasn't going crazy.

I drove around, following signs to Mt. Vernon...which I never saw the front of, but somehow managed to find the backside of and a perfect spot for Darcy to sit while I took a couple pictures (the warmth of the vehicle made it difficult to stay out longer than that). Then I booked it to the northern side of Baltimore to meet up with Meredith, Josh and little Joshua Dew for supper at the Cheesecake Factory in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. We had tons of fun catching up and talking over supper and dessert, but all too soon it was time to head back to the Eastern Shore.

Of note on my drive back, I went up instead of down, leading to only a $3 toll but landing me on some very deserted roads...I had been warned that deer like to run out at cars (much like some southern squirrels), so I kept a sharp eye out for any sign of movement. The only sign I saw (literal sign) was a yellow sign with the silhouette of a horse and buggy. Definitely a first and instant favorite. But given the lateness of the hour I was driving, I saw neither deer nor buggy.

The little girls had gone home while I was in DC, so Tuesday I had Cindy and Steve to myself, and we spent some time talking and discussing Apples (which was fun to do, sitting around with our MacBook Pros, iPads/iPhones, and comparing and sharing). Cindy and I went to Rachel's for lunch then did a little consignment shopping. I wanted to meet up with a friend and had to be somewhere by 4:30.

I had the opportunity of meeting up with Sarah Bates (formerly Custer), a high school friend who lives with her husband in the Virginia Beach area. They had a soccer game that afternoon, so I dropped by, met a couple of the soccer moms, and ate supper with the team. Had a great time catching up with Sarah and meeting her husband, Andrew. Hopefully on future trips, I'll be able to spend more time with them. :)

The last leg of my journey wouldn't have been complete without another night spent at Laurie and Matt's. I'm so thankful that we have been able to be friends even though we met under tough circumstances (aka NICU). It has been decided that they are a good almost-halfway-point between home and the Maryland relatives, and I am looking forward to stopping by there again. The trip home with Jenn and Taylor went well...we discovered that Taylor didn't care as much for the interstate as she did regular roads, but all in all she did very well...and Jenn and I enjoyed discussing various topics of interest.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow" but thankfully, I am already formulating future trips...seeing as my relatives live 1 1/2 hours from not only DC and Balitmore, but also Philly, Lancaster, Ocean City, NJ, etc...which clearly means more road trips and adventures to be had (which I am eagerly anticipating). So as they say: until next time!

*disclaimer: I do not endorse any movies mentioned, merely the soundtracks as sources of musical enjoyment and mood-setting...   

No comments:

Post a Comment