Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Why Blog...

A couple weeks ago, one of my sisters approached me about participating in a blog hop. To which I said: What is a blog hop!?!?!?


I was afraid she was going to want to swap blogs, or have me as a guest blogger, or some such thing (which was fearsome in that we are very different and our blogs are on completely different topics!).

But...no worries. A Blog Hop is where someone writes about a topic (in this case: Why Do I Blog) and then promotes the blogs of a few friends.

So...why DO I blog?

Blogging is something I love doing! I have the opportunity to write about a topic that I am passionate about: traveling!

Since I can remember, I have kept journals about life. Some of them are definitely more interesting than others...some of them are pretty simplistic...and some of them are almost unreadable because of the poor progression of thought while I was writing (which you may or may not think has carried over into my blog!). Journaling has almost been cathartic for me over the years (especially in college when I went through some difficult growing). After graduating from college and starting my nursing job (read here to learn about what I did for almost five years), I found that I could budget for traveling. And so I did!

I have traveled since college to: California (a three-week, all-over-the-state, music team trip), Haiti (x2), Seattle, NYC (x3), Boston (x2), Concord (NH and MA), Florida, Tennessee, Michigan, Denver, Colorado (x3), Charleston, Virginia (all over), DC (x3), Philadelphia (x2 or 3)...and that's NOT an exhaustive list by any means.

And during my travels, I found that there was so much to write about and that in writing, I could share that with my family and some friends. And I wanted to have a place to go back to read about my adventures.

I am definitely not one of those people (like my sister) who thinks about what I am going to write, plan out the words, write a post then proof it and make corrections! Generally speaking, I write whatever comes out about the trip, maybe check for obvious errors, and then post. Which is probably not the most effective way to blog, but it works for me...and since it's my blog...



Around the same time, I purchased a new car, a Honda Fit named Mr. Darcy. He and I have now gone over 130,000 miles together...and I am so thankful for the Lord's provision of a dependable car! He is one of my favorite companions on roadtrips and is always a willing participant in photo opps.

I freely admit to not having hundreds of thousands of readers. In fact, I'm certain that none of my posts have been read by 100 people. But that's not the point of the blog!

Me and the LPs...who are fast becoming
not so little people (but who are still my
faithful companions!)
I blog not just to share my adventures. I blog so that I can look back at where I have been (literally and figuratively) and compare that with where I am now. If I have come even a few steps closer to the God that I serve, then every trip is worth it.

Some blogs that I read and follow:

Hazelnuts
-Interested in updating some furniture? Love the concept of giving a fresh look to old pieces? Look no further than this blog by my dear friend and sister in Christ, Charis. People often get us confused and think we are sisters, but on those days when I need advice on life and an older sister to listen to my troubles, I go to Charis and share over cups of hot tea. Charis doesn't blog constantly, but I love her touch of whimsy.

Life Content: Diary of a Future CRNA
-This is a blog by a very good friend of mine from nursing school. Joel is in the process of becoming a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist) and blogs about his journey...starting from the idea of what to do and where to go for grad school all the way to what he is learning in school. He's an excellent writer and expresses his thoughts well. If you know someone who is interested in going back to grad school, this blog gives a real life example of what that entails.

Charity Greene, Wellness Advocate (doTerra essential oils)
-The Blog Hop list wouldn't be complete without a shout out to my sister, Charity, and her blog. While I do not hold with some of the science behind essential oils, I have seen them work. If you're interested in learning more about oils and how they could help you, check out Char's blog and her thoughtful posts.


Other blogs that I support and read can be found at the bottom of my blog along with links to their most recent posts. Read and enjoy! And look for more posts soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment