Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Talking, Hiking, Talking, Ice Cream, Talking...

Well, you get the picture.

While Caroline was here, we did a lot of talking...which is what kindred spirits do when they go for almost a year without seeing each other.

After visiting Tennessee and having a relaxing Sunday at church, we hit the road again on Monday for some adventures.

Destination: DuPont State Forest and Cowpens
Total Miles: approx. 150 miles
Total Cost: $4.50 (not including gas...because I didn't fill up on Monday)

Yes. You read that correctly. The grand total cost was four dollars and fifty cents. What could I possibly have purchased? Glad you asked! Read on.

Our first destination for Monday was DuPont State Forest in North Carolina. We decided to head out just after lunch. I have been to see the waterfalls a couple different times, but I have yet to tire of the beauty of the falls and hiking the trails.


Having been before, I figured I would be able to find it without a GPS...


Thankfully, I had also wanted to show Caroline a fun roadside pottery shop that I had been to...one missed turn will take you to places you did not intend to go but allow for some fun adventures.

Which reminds me a saying that was framed on a wall at the hospital where I used to work: A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.

So, after our stop at the pottery place, we got back on the right path and arrived safely at our destination.

The afternoon was one of those perfect afternoons to hike...not to hot, plenty of cloud coverage, but enough sunshine to make it a lovely day. And the falls were as majestic as ever!

After hiking a couple miles, we headed off to another favorite destination of mine: Cowpens National Battlefield. I've taken the LPs here several times and love the history.

We also made sure to stop at Strawberry Hill and get some delicious homemade ice cream. If you have never had their homemade strawberry ice cream, it is a must stop when you plan your visit to the battlefield! I am not a huge fan of strawberry ice cream, but this is the real deal and delectable (and this is where I spent my $4.50)!

The ride back included a lot of talking and discussions on a plethora of topics (including some medical issues that have been seen recently in our line of work).

All in all, it was a fun day that included one of my favorite activities...more favorite than having an adventure and eating ice cream...

Spending time with my dear friend.

Tuesday was her last day in Greenville, so we made some stops around downtown Greenville (which is one of the top places for, well, a lot of stuff. Check it out here!), and we also had lunch at one of our favorites: India Palace.

While it would be nice if time could slow down so that we could enjoy more moments, there is always the anticipation of looking towards whatever is to come next. And in light of that knowledge, Caroline's visit came to an end. Until our next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment