Saturday, August 9, 2014

Misty Mountains

Destination: Tennessee
Total Cost: roughly $100
Total Miles: roughly 450
Dates: June 13-14

Time to play a little catch-up on the blog (which will hopefully cover some of these fantastic trips I've been on over the last couple months!).

Today, we will start with one of my favorite people coming for a visit!

After I took boards (the first time), I had a couple days to regroup and prepare for Caroline's arrival from Colorado/Wyoming. For the first time since she graduated, she was coming to visit me!

We planned to head over the Smokeys to Gatlinburg for a day before heading to my grandparents' house near Knoxville. Caroline arrived on a Thursday evening just before Rivertree Singers' rehearsal, which she graciously attended with me.

Following a good night's sleep, we headed to Gatlinburg for a fun day of shopping and sightseeing. Our first stop was recommended by my grandma: Ober Gatlinburg.

While it was an overcast day, we could still see through the mist as we rode the aerial tramway. The views were impressive, and Caroline and I had a great time listening to the tram's operator give his oration.

Once at the top, we explored the area, did some shopping, ate lunch, and tried to get caught up from a year's worth of missed conversations.

Back down in Gatlinburg, we set about doing some window shopping...which included checking out some comfortable moccasins and a sports' store that had a very small corner containing both Duke and Clemson paraphernalia (in the same corner...what are the odds?!).

That evening, we stayed at my grandparents' near Knoxville. It was the first time Caroline had met my grandparents and my aunt and uncle, but other than Caroline's beating all of us at Phase 10, the visit went very well. On the whole, it was a very relaxing end to the day.

The next day found us headed back to the mountains in search of bears, caves, and one of my favorite spots this side of the Mississippi: Cades Cove.


If you have never been to Cades Cove, you must check it out! My family has been visiting the Cove since I was probably around 10 years old, and the beauty and wonder of it has yet to lose its charm. here to learn more about it.
Nestled among the Appalachians, Cades Cove has a large scenic loop drive that allows you to take a leisurely drive around the Cove. There are old churches, houses, and barns that can be explored, bears and deer that may wander across your path, and hiking trails available for the adventurous. Check out the National Park Service website

After spotting some deer and bears, walking through some of the houses and churches, and a picnic lunch, we headed a few miles down the road to explore some caverns. Another place I remember visiting once during a family vacation was the Tuckaleechee Caverns. I took the LPs there a while back, and since we were in the general area, I decided that Caroline and I would visit the caverns.

They did not disappoint.


The caverns are much more hands-on than others (so I am told), and the tour guides always share something new that I don't remember hearing before.
When we finished the tour, we purchased some delicious fudge for the journey home. It was a fun trip, and I love the spontaneity that traveling with Caroline always affords.

And don't worry! We took another trip into the mountains before she left, so I'll be sure to blog about that in the next couple days.




Until then!
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment