Sunday, July 29, 2012

We Walk By Faith

Destination: unknown
Total Miles: 8 years and counting
Total Cost: my life

Eight years ago today my life changed.

Sounds a little dramatic...and trust me, it was. It changed my perspective, my prospects, my plans...like I said, my life.

Exactly 8 years ago I was a high school graduate working my normal summer job. Sometime before lunch, I got a call from my mom.

"The rain isn't stopping. The wayer is up to the second level. We've called the fire department and they're on their way."

Our house was in a flood zone, and that day 3 to 5 storm cells converged over our area dumping enough water to cause the little creek next to the house to rise so fast the family barely had enough time to get a few things from the lower stories to the top.

When it was all said and done, there was over 5 feet of water inside the house.

My sister, Charity, and I shared a bedroom on the lowest level. All my high school stuff, all my college prep stuff, our clothes and books, everything was soaked in red, muddy flood waters.

Sounds pretty awful?

It seemed like it.

Over the next couple days, our family experienced an outpouring of love. God provided people to clean up the house, places for us to stay, and a host of other things.

But, honestly, the most important thing that came out of this awful experience was the lessons I learned. Lessons that I need every day.

1. We walk by faith and not by sight. An ensemble sang this the Suday after the flood. Faith is developed by circumstances and failures...it is a road I travel, not just a decision I make.

2. God allows each circumstance in our lives not only to build our faith and bring us closer to Him but also to help us help others. What we learn from our circumstances and failures isn't something we should keep to ourselves. Rather, it is something we must use to proclaim God's goodness and provision.

3. Life is a journey. There are patches of "Rough Road" and patches of smooth pavement. God already knows where the next stop will take place, where the rest areas are, what parts will be stormy...and He has given us a Map, His Word.

4. God requires my full surrender. A living sacrifice. And He promises lead me on my journeys...beside still waters or through valleys.

Eight years. I would not be where I am..who I am...without that experience 8 years ago.

Praise the Lord, my journey continues...with lots of road trips!

No comments:

Post a Comment