Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Rain...rain...

Destination: the mountains
Total miles: ummm...70?
Cost: free

Well...the plan for today was to go to Charleston...that was the plan. And as we all know, the best laid plans often go awry. For various reasons, I woke up during the night and was up for over 2 hours. So, that plan went out the door while sleep (as usual) took precedent.

Plan B. Make it up as you go along.

My favorite kind of plans!

After arising from my repose (some time after 11 a.m.) and preparing myself for the day, I headed into town to satisfy my spiced tea cravings...which some of you know how bad those can be...aka I went to India Palace for a late lunch at 2pm. I love their spiced ice tea. I get the same meal every time (which I don't even have to tell them because they know what I'm going to order) and while I normally take a friend or sibling with me, I enjoyed being by myself (read a couple chapters of Sense and Sensibility and had an enjoyable talk with my waiter, Chetan).

Not having any particular direction to head in, I just started driving towards the mountains after lunch. It's been I-don't-know-how-long since I've been to Caesar's Head, so I followed the road signs. It was the perfect day for a drive through the mountains!

Impending rain and a weekday afternoon insured there would be little traffic. No place to be provided the opportunity to take my time and enjoy the vivid colors of an Appalachian Spring. And my iPod playing the soundtrack from The Man from Snowy River and Return to Snowy River provided the atmosphere befitting a leisurely drive through the Foothills.

Confession: I didn't go to the overlook at Caesar's Head. It was lightning and raining quite hard by the time I made it up, and I opted to sit in my car and enjoy the sound of the rain and the view I could see through the trees. :)

On my way back down, I spotted a sign for Jones' Gap State Park. Making a hasty left turn, I found myself on some back roads that eventually led me to the Park. Here again, it was raining quite hard, so I drove around while reminiscing about childhood trips with the family to Jones' Gap.


To sum it up, I must be honest and say that I don't mind the rain. The colors it brings out, not only in the foliage but also in the sky, are among some of my favorite! The deep blue-grays especially (for a reason I cannot explain) cause my heart to sing and praise God for the wondrous creation He has made. And I know that somewhere nearby, whether I can see it or not, is a rainbow...a reminder of God's                             faithfulness to us.

1 comment:

  1. So, remember that time like yesterday when I told you I thought the weather was supposed to be nice today? Oops=) Lets go for spiced tea together soon--you just made my cravings start=)

    ReplyDelete