Thursday, June 12, 2014

You Drove HOW Many Miles?!



Destination: Maryland
Total Miles: >2,000
Total Cost: maybe $150?



So...this trip occurred almost a month ago, and I apologize for the delay in posting. Life post-graduation has yet to slow down. But with two more trips around the bend, I figure it's time to update you on this trip.

And besides that, it was a fun trip!

So...how did I spend so little going to Maryland and Washington D.C.?

Hitchhiking.

Just kidding. Well...sort of.

Having quit my job (and loving unemployment more than is probably normal), I have a little more time on my hands to help out with the LPs. And when Mom mentioned going to a homeschool convention (Teach Them Diligently), I volunteered to go along to "help with the driving."

We had a blast! We took Chenie and Charles (which always makes everything more interesting) and we brought along some Frozen music for them to sing-along with...and like the majority of people who have to listen to that soundtrack on endless repeat, I now have the words memorized and could probably do a music video.

Our first stop was in Virginia with my friends, Laurie and Matt. I've mentioned them before on my trips and love visiting with them! We had a great time catching up, and I loved meeting the newest addition to their family! Nate is as adorable as ever, and I couldn't be prouder of him.

That night, we stayed near Jamestown, and the next morning, we spent the first half of the day exploring Jamestown. The kids were enthralled with the Indian village, colonial settlement, and ships. And I was happy that everything was just as I remembered it from 16 years ago (6th grade class trip).

The history is amazing and well-preserved, and I highly recommend the tours to anyone who loves history.


After grabbing a bite to eat, we headed north to stay at my aunt and uncle's. I enjoyed visiting with them and their church people!

Thursday, we toured a couple monuments in DC and spent some time at exhibits in the Air and Space Smithsonian. I may or may not have mentioned it before, but my childhood dream was to become an astronaut...and I love any chance I get to see various aspects of space.

That evening, we headed to the conference at the National Harbor (which was a beautiful setting). I enjoyed hearing Ken Ham from Answers in Genesis speak about the importance of teaching that the Bible is not 'stories' but literal, factual history. If you did not get the chance to watch his debate with Bill Nye (the Science Guy), please take some time to watch it here. Having formally debated in my teens, I appreciated the various aspects of the debate. Even if you are not inclined to disagree with evolution, I encourage you to watch the debate as I did, with an open mind and taking notes (literally).

I was also able to hear Mark Hamby from Lamplighter's Books speak on the importance of well-rounded education. He referenced the Renaissance period and was overall very fascinating.

The next day, I dropped Mom and the kids off at my cousin's (she was going to the convention)...and I went off in search of some early morning Starbucks. Which meant going to Delaware. Which was fun and relaxing. After spending the morning writing Thank You notes (which I'm incredibly behind on!!), I decided to hit the road around 1 p.m. in search of lunch.


Two hours later...I arrived fifteen minutes before lunch ended at the Mount Vernon Inn restaurant. It was adorable and antiquated! The staff were dressed in period costumes, the food was delicious, and I enjoyed being pampered (since I was one of the only patrons).

That evening, I met up with my friends-who had just landed in Baltimore-for a delicious supper and fun time at Bus Boys and Poets. Josh and Meredith are those classic friends that I may not see as often as I'd like, but when we get together, we spend hours catching up and planning some of the most random schemes.

On Saturday, I met up with my friend, Abi, for a fun afternoon in Georgetown. She and I met on the Dominican Republic trip in March. Since I was coming up, we decided to get together and catch up. The plan was for her to ride the metro into DC, and I would pick her up...except that I got there 20 minutes early. Which in the South isn't a problem...but in DC, it makes for some great adventures. I drove (not even lying!) around the Washington Circle at least 10 times and got in some great laughs at the craziness of the other drivers.

After picking Abi up, we made our way to downtown Georgetown. It was beautiful and fun! We walked along the canal towpaths, enjoyed a delicious lunch at a pizzeria, snacked on yummy milkshakes, and found some extremely random fish in a flooded canal (random because the fish were at least 18 inches long and rather scary looking). We spent a lot of time talking and chatting about life. Sometimes I meet someone who becomes what Anne of Green Gables would call 'a kindred spirit.' And Abi is definitely one of those people!

That evening, I picked up mom and the kids, and we traipsed over to my mom's brother's house for a cookout and campfire. I love my family...especially the extended family that I don't see that often!!


Sunday was spent enjoyed the fellowship at Eastern Shore Bible Baptist Church. In between services, Chenie and I set out in search of ice cream...and, you guessed it, we ended up in Delaware! We found a Rita's and filled our craving for ice cream. It was a beautiful day for a drive, and I love the countryside!

Monday was head-home day. We had a grand time of listening to a Lamplighter audio book (I cried), and overall, enjoyed the successfulness of the trip.

But when we got home and Mom added up the miles...well...she's not used to someone putting around 800 miles on her vehicle without her and wanted to know just how in the world did I put so many extra miles on her vehicle...

I'm sure I have no idea. It was a pretty average road trip for me.

:)




















1 comment:

  1. Always enjoy your blog! Always good seeing you, and you are always welcome, anytime!!

    ReplyDelete