Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Home Away from Home

Third and final installment of this year's Colorado trip.

(no drum rolls, please!)

Let me tell you: This was a memorable trip.

Not that every trip isn't memorable or noteworthy, but this one was quintessential road-tripping with Charise.

Why, you ask? Because it was not only to one of my favorite places, nor just because of the randomness and occasional spontaneity, but mainly because it involved hanging out with a valued friend who understands my nursing humor, enjoys the random and spontaneous, and seeks to serve the Lord.

So...Monday and Tuesday.

Monday, we lolled about in the morning trying to decide what to do. The weather had been a bit iffy, so we decided to hold off on going to Elitch Gardens and instead tour the capitol building in Denver. We rode the light rail in to downtown and took a bus from Union Station to a block from the capitol.

Not only was the capitol open for tours, but it was also the week of the quilting contest! We were able to enjoy some 300+ quilts hanging on display throughout the building.



The tour was enjoyable, and I would highly recommend taking the tour! We were able to sit in the galleries of both the House and Senate...which were not in session (they only meet for so many months out of the year). We also learned about the unique architecture of the capitol...the rose onyx found throughout the building is the only rose onyx in the world to date. They did not realize that they were mining the entirety of the stone until it was gone and none could be found elsewhere.

For lunch, we decided to branch out and try an Indian restaurant located in a food court a level below the 16th Street mall. Saucy Bombay. We were extremely impressed and stuffed ourselves with the delicious food! I had a rice, chicken, chickpea combo smothered in a mild tiki masala sauce (complete with an iced Indian chai tea).

After some unsuccessful shopping (mostly because we were so tired from everything we had done the week before), we hit up a modern coffee shop, Ink!, where we enjoyed some massively huge (and delicious) iced beverages. All I know is that the guy behind the counter thought I would like the white-chocolate-almond-coffee-something-or-other...and he was spot on!

Monday night, I took the kids to Yogurtland (tradition!) where we splurged on some new flavors of fro-yo.

Tuesday was my day to head home...but not before we took a "little" 14,240 feet above sea level drive up the highest paved road in America! Up Mount Evans we went, this time with enough gas to make it to the top and back.

Literally, every single turn we made was more breathtaking the last...we stopped several times to take pictures of scenery. I found some mountain goats at the very tippy-top peak! Hooray for wildlife!!! We enjoyed hiking a little ways past Summit Lake, which is where we met a man who resides in Charleston and is a Clemson alumnus...so random.

The top was SOOOO windy, and I was extremely thankful that Caroline had packed some down-winter coats for us to wear. We took a few random pictures at the top, then wound our way back down the mountain (stopping to take a picture of the marmot we passed!). The beauty of God's creation is overwhelming at that altitude!

It was with mixed emotions that we drove back, picked up my luggage, and headed to the airport. I love coming home...it's one of the best parts of traveling...but I do not like leaving a place where I feel at home.

The plane ride to Chicago was uneventful...I met a very polite gentleman who talked the entire flight back about his travels (you people think I like to travel? this retired air force veteran just takes off to places all over...including New Zealand...because he can). I enjoyed hearing his adventurous tales and since we had both ridden the train from Durango to Silverton in the past week, we had at least one shared story.

There were plenty of empty seats on my flight from Chicago to Greenville, and while I chit-chatted with the man at the end of my row, I was able to rest some. Stepping out into the muggy South Carolina weather, seeing Mr. Darcy and my dad ready to pick me up, and going home were an excellent way to end my trip.

All in all...I love Colorado and my friends there.

And yes.

I'm already planning my next trip out to colorful Colorado!

:)


  














 


No comments:

Post a Comment